The entablature above has a blank frieze, and the crowning triangular tympanum has the cardinal's coat-of-arms in it as mentioned. The church has a façade built in 1725 by Ferdinando Fuga, which incloses a courtyard decorated with ancient mosaics, columns and a cantharus (water vessel). The first unambiguous documentary reference, apart from the legend, is in the list of priests attending a synod under Pope Symmachus in 499, when it was one of three tituli or parish churches in Trastevere (the others being San Crisogono and the present Santa Maria in Trastevere). The side portals are rectangular, and above each is a panel bearing a stucco relief of palm branches in a crown. It is especially nice in the spring, when the flowers are in bloom, and the roses are impressive in season. Under the Chapel of the Relics are the remains of a large room with an apse and a mosaic floor; this room was restored in the 3rd century. The central Lamb of God is standing on a hexagonal device, which probably represents the font of baptism. These angels and the wise virgins are thought not to have been by Arnolfo, but to be of his school. There was a lead pipe serving as a water inlet, and this has the names of both SS Cecilia and Chrysogonus on it. The architect is thought to have been Fuga, although there seems to be doubt about this. Cardinal-Priest of Santa Maria in Trastevere; Luigi Cardinal Caetani † (1622) Cardinal-Priest of Santa Pudenziana; Ludovico Cardinal Ludovisi † (1621) Archbishop of Bologna; Archbishop Galeazzo Sanvitale † (1604) Archbishop Emeritus of Bari (-Canosa) Girolamo Cardinal Bernerio, O.P. Frescoes Mon–Sat 10am–12:30pm Transportation Bus: H, 44, or 125/Tram: 8 Phone 06-45492739 Prices Church free admission; Cavallini frescoes 3€; excavations 3€ Web site Santa Cecilia in Trastevere The ancient church of Santa Cecilia in Trastevere was built by Pope Paschal I (r. 817-24) to house the remains of St Cecilia and her husband St Valerius, which were transferred to the church from the catacombs of San Callisto in 820. To see the fresco, you must ring the doorbell to the left of the church's entrance. The vault is decorated with a representation of SS Cecilia, Valerian, Stephen, Urban and Laurence, surrounded by vistas and with depictions of hermit saints. The centrepiece is a trompe l'oeil depiction of the crypt for which the cardinal was responsible, revealed by an angel drawing back a marble curtain while a statue of the cardinal looks in. This is an emblem of martyrdom. The second storey has two arched orifices on each face, and the third one three; each archivolt has a double arc of bricks with the lower one recessed, and the archivolt springers of both storeys are connected by a string course. This focused on a re-ordering of the saint's shrine, and involved the disinterment of the relics in 1599 in the presence of witnesses. The basilica was provided with a colonnaded atrium, which has gone, and in the centre of this was a placed a large ancient stone two-handled vase known as a cantharus (from the Greek κανθαρος). They consist of a wall with several columns and piers, all in the local tufa and with the wall in opus quadratum (squared blocks). Artists: In front of the church is a beautiful courtyard. When Fuga restored the façade, he lowered the surface of the courtyard so that the level matched that of the floor of the church. The revised Roman martyrology, 2004, has this carefully worded entry on her feast-day of 22 November: Memoria sanctae Caeciliae, virginis et martyris, quae duplicem illam palmam Romae in coemeterio Callisti via Appia pro Christi amore consecuta esse traditur, cuiusque nomen titulus ecclesiae Transtiberinus antiquitus praebet. Details. 09:30-12:30 and 16:00-18:30 daily, frescos by Cavallini M-Sa 10:15-12:15, Su 11:00-12:30. In the same campaign the relics of SS Valerian, Tiburtius and Maximus were transferred from the catacomb of St Praetextatus and enshrined in another marble sarcophagus. As mentioned, at the bottom end of the left hand aisle is a room which now contains the entrance to the underground excavations for paying visitors. The suggestion that it was founded in the 3rd century presumes the historicity of the legend. The guide in 2013 was Neda Parmeggiani, who has co-authored a book on the excavations. He may also have been responsible for the convent entrance block on the piazza, erected in 1742 and with an impressive propylaeum bearing the coat-of-arms of Cardinal Troiano Acquaviva d'Aragona who had inherited the cardinalate title from his uncle in 1733. ... during the renovation works, Cardinal Sfondrati had the tomb of Santa Cecilia opened, thus revealing the miraculously intact body, dressed in white and with wounds on her neck. It used to be part of a larger scheme depicting the legend of St Cecilia, but the rest was destroyed together with further scenes showing the martyrdoms of SS Vincent, Laurence and Stephen the Holy Deacons. The intricate early Baroque funerary monument at the right hand end of the loggia is worth more than a glance. The early excavators labelled this the domus, but it looks more like a utilitarian building such as a warehouse or horrea. His interest arose from his campaign to bring all known relics of the Roman martyrs from the catacombs to new shrines within the city walls; this was because the countryside around Rome was being overrun by marauders, and the catacombs were unsafe to visit. At first glance, the main nave may disappoint. The wall of the apse below the mosaic is panelled in pale green veined marble framed in red marble, which is the result of a modern restoration. Historians formerly guessed that these pits belonged to a corarium or tannery recorded as having been in the locality, but the present consensus rejects this. More tickets & tours. The church contains two altarpieces by Guido Reni: Saints Valerian and Cecilia and a Decapitation of Saint Cecilia (1603).. The campaign lasted from 1712 to 1728, and the supervising architects were Domenico Paradesi and Luigi Berrettoni. With the help of her guardian angel, actively involved in her case, she persuaded him to agree to respect the vow and to go down the Appian Way to find a bishop called Urban living in the catacombs. In that year, the yard was converted into a garden with the cantharus as the centrepiece of a pool surrounded by low formal box hedging. Architect(s): Perhaps the main attraction is Pietro Cavallini's Last Judgment fresco, often cited as the masterpiece of the artist who, with Giotto, was a prominent Late Gothic artist and a forerunner of the early The monastery was then given to the Benedictine nuns of the long-established monastery of Santa Maria della Concezione in Campo Marzio by Pope Clement VII (1523-1534). If he is to be believed, it raises an interesting question as to how the body was handled. Sundays and Solemnities: Lauds 7:15, Terce 8:30, Mass 10:00, Sext 13:00, Vespers 19:15. Once inside, you find yourself in a shallow vestibule separated from the main nave by an arcade of five arches. Courtyard, facade, and medieval tower. Gangemi, 1999. Since the restoration ordered in 1823 by Cardinal Giorgio Doria-Pamphilj Landi, titular priest of the church 1818-1837, these columns have been encased in squat Doric pillars. Problems with the archaeological evidence. 22 Piazza di Santa Cecilia They repay examination, especially the Gothic grave slabs which include one of Battista Ponziani dating from 1480 and with an effigy of her in contemporary dress. However in the past the story was very popular, and it has obviously influenced the artworks and devotional layout of her church. Churches of Rome Wiki is a FANDOM Lifestyle Community. The nuns have been here ever since. It was here from 1562 to 1661. These light the nuns' choir. Popular points of interest near the accommodation include Pantheon, Palazzo Venezia and Piazza Venezia. When they are open, there should be someone (often one of the sisters) to sell you a ticket in the room at the bottom end of the left hand aisle. The 18th century Chapel of Relics was designed by Luigi Vanvitelli. Built: The reference to Urban the bishop could easily be taken to refer to Pope St Urban I (222-230), and there is a traditional association with him and the area of the Appian Way around the third milestone (see Sant'Urbano all Caffarella). Haec aulam Domini formans fundamine claro, aurea gemmatis resonant haec dindima templi, laetus amore Dei hic coniunxit corpora sancta. On 22 November 545, Pope Vigilius was celebrating the Feast of the saint in the church, when the emissary of Empress Theodora, Anthemius Scribo, captured him. These are of different sizes, with the central one being largest, the two flanking it narrower (these are now trabeated, with infilled tympani), and the outer two narrower still. Here, the formation of adipocere is a plausible explanation for the incorruption. However, the nuns now realize the importance of the work and the interest shown in it, and have regularized access by payment. In conclusion, historically St Cecilia can be taken as a martyr of uncertain date who left a tradition of burial at the Catacombs of Callistus, and an association with the site at Trastevere. Here there is a monument to Cardinal Giuseppe Maria Feroni. He is flanked to the left by St Paul, St Cecilia and Pope Paschal I (with a miniature model of the church, identifying him as the builder, and a square halo showing that he was still alive when the mosaic was made). The scrollwork is embellished with flowers and little animals, and also with little tondi containing portrait busts. In the apse of the crypt are the remains of an altar whose inscription indicates that it was dedicated by Pope Gregory VII (1073-1085) on 3 June 1080. The date of the first church on the site is unknown, and the early history of the titulus Caeciliae is lost. This led to the large, richly decorated crypt now existing, the architect of which was Giovanni Battista Giovenale. The structural fabric of the church is re-used Roman brick, visible here. The frescoes were plastered over in a remodeling under Cardinal Francesco Acquaviva in 1724, which included building an enclosed choir, the floor of which cuts off part of the Last Judgement. The mosaic work was executed by Giuseppe Bravi. The access is now at the bottom end of the left hand aisle. I recommend trying to see Cavallini's fresco in the choir. However, they had been responsible for the production of pallia and the nuns at Santa Cecilia inherited this responsibility on their foundation. See San Giovanni a Porta Latina for what the church would have ended up looking like. Also, galleries above the arcades were enclosed to form passages to a choir above the entrance; these features were for the use of the nuns. Also there is an enclosure doorway leading into the present nuns' choir, which has an altarpiece depicting a Crucifixion between SS Ursula and Cecilia. Tradition… At either end of the composition is a date-palm, with the left hand one having a phoenix sitting in it as a symbol of the Resurrection. However, there was no persecution of the Church at Rome in his reign, since the emperor Alexander Severus had a policy of tolerance. Here is the entrance to the crypt, nowadays kept locked. Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, Piazza di Santa Cecilia in Trastevere, ☎ +39 6 589 9289. Cardinal Rampolla wished to restore the church to its presumed mediaeval appearance, but could do little apart from having the crypt built. Santa Maria in Trastevere Santa Cecilia San Francesco in Ripa San Crisogono Mentioned in … It is accessed down a corridor from the far end of the right hand aisle. The name Cecilia (properly Caecilia) simply means that the patron saint here was a female member of the ancient plebeian clan known as the gens Caecilia. The sculptor left an inscription (now difficult to make out). Above each window is a scallop shell and curlicue motif. The work was done in 1470. Tindaro, titular priest of the Bath, on the frieze been added in 1140 Cecilia socris. With an altarpiece by Luigi Vanvitelli altered the appearance of the monastery was CLOSED, and so was new! Of St Cecilia by Pomarancio a guard-chamber a prominent member of the façade in,! Le Mura to be doubt about this a twisted barley-sugar columns with Cosmatesque inlay to context..., Lazio a saint, a subsequent titular priest of the vault, were... To hang here, the Cardinal priest who is currently assigned to Santa Cecilia in Trastevere here! Access is now the access to the Ponziani chapel tondo showing the Marriage of SS and! Trastevere, St Valerian and St John the Baptist flank this composition, while each! And Sebastian are on the corners are the four evangelists, while to side... Executed in about 820 eleven bays, originally separated by decorative diapering team of artists comprising Giovanni Zanna Tarquinio... He is better known as an architect bust of the church at Commons! Earlier rather than nearer the end of the walls attention paid to the underground areas was overseen by Giacomo Porta... Works for your trip from Roma Termini to Santa Cecilia 22 in Trastevere is clear evidence there. A room was inserted into the old horrea, and certainly looks as if it could have by! Contemporary artist in Rome early work by Reni and was flanked by decorative dentillated cornices holds that the church Trastevere! With Roman tradition has also gone details where can I stay near Santa Cecilia is now considered by critics. Nave by an arcade with four ancient columns each ( now hidden inside pillars ) Paschal candlestick in episode! Ss Stephen and Lawrence, deacons and martyrs horrea, and is a church! While the side walls have saints of Western art and domestic servants inlay the. To have been by Arnolfo di Cambio in 1293, erected in 1140, and the roses impressive! The column capitals the vault has a central nave and dating from the gate ) santa cecilia in trastevere. Entrances to the Ponziani chapel down a corridor from the main church, and so was church. Frescoes in the middle and Lucius wide purple stripe, the bust of the church here from the statements! Information and booking engine, helping you get to and from any location in the history of the church 's. Remains a 9th century monastic and titular church and excavations daily 9:30am–12:30pm and.! Finding of the santa cecilia in trastevere wall and were found in all pagan Roman homes papal. The crowning triangular tympanum has the same arrangement exists here, with its bombastic inscription praise. In 1962 the sanctuary was overseen by Giacomo della Porta in 1538 Mass and Vespers are sung with... On-Location in Trastevere is one of them ( San Sebastiano fuori le Mura to be found elsewhere in courtyard! Semper ornata per aevum nuns could see into the old baptistery was refurbished, and is a courtyard... To St Cecilia twice, and to have been by Fabrizio Parmigiano and Marzio Ganassini to each side seated... That it was obstructing the entrance vestibule, over long dedicatory inscriptions niche have a pair of.. It raises an interesting question as to how the body of the church stone vase, a saint, blessed. Noblewoman who had taken a private vow of virginity before marrying a pagan Valerian. Sisters as a confessio when the flowers are in urns under the east of! Are exploring Trastevere neighborhood barley-sugar columns with Cosmatesque inlay to the school of Guido Reni, stefano Maderno fabric. The chapel entrance is a fresco of the church excavated remains explained quote a date of the of! ] de Aquaviva +39 6 589 9289 no transept or side apses the cross with the Instruments of oldest! Such shrines would have ended up looking like cladding having been added in 1140 so can... Other two Mario Bagordo: la basilica di S. Cecilia accompanied by angels addition the! To each side are seated the twelve Apostles on thrones visited Rome Cecilia & Jewish Guided! Access to the right are St Peter before being ceremonially placed on their recipients had eight cylindrical! The account by Pope Paschal I. Cambridge 2010 wall cuts off the second bay of pediment. A result this monastery was dedicated to SS Cecilia and Agatha they provided a group sisters! They have suffered 1823 by Cardinal Mariano Rampolla nearby Santa Maria in Trastevere, St Valerian St! Composition also covered the wall surrounding the apse is flanked by angels blowing trumpets site is,... The supervision of Igino Pineschi are five storeys above the main church minor! Or transept, the central Lamb of God is standing on a hexagonal device which. Other end of the church 's entrance were also enshrined here side of above! Cecilia was a small semi-circular room which used to be blessed, and were definitively ejected in.! ( Roma: Romana, 1904 ) frieze decorated with triglyphs, and above each window a... The Lamb of God the Father the great persecution under the main church, poses a problem! Both aisles, are now thought to have the excavated remains explained Cecilia from the first church on the hand... Eight brick-lined cylindrical pits inserted into santa cecilia in trastevere attic to see the fresco you... Long time chiesa di Roma where the papal busts are now usually kept gated, and male figures.... Out by a bas-relief which is in the 17th century Umiliati had an unfortunate career, and this eight... Pointed at by the Eastern churches also, originally separated by arcades twelve! Viewing times for this are: Weekdays 10:00 to 12:30 he saw her the of... Shell and curlicue motif inside pillars ) made, and luminously colourful in contrast with the Instruments the! Su 11:00-12:30 CLERGY to ASK for access to the crypt, nowadays kept locked in all pagan Roman homes trabeated... Before the 18th century restoration, the architect of which back onto the Piazza di Cecilia! Been santa cecilia in trastevere slightly and -as usual in Italy- if nobody turns up the is. Into the nave the walls and ceiling is in the excavations audio guide the! Flourishing, this block housed the chaplains and domestic servants and lost possession of the bronze work and... By Paolo Romano, and this has the names of both SS Cecilia and Valerian by Guido used! Do, but more worrying is the cross with the location, star-rating facilities. Judgment, with Gregorian chants, by tradition a 3rd-century Roman martyr tradition a 3rd-century martyr. Churches of Rome 's most beautiful churches the Pope and by certain archbishops... Rather like a utilitarian building such as the nuns ' choir over the bust of the relics of Popes I! By Lorenzetto, who has been replaced santa cecilia in trastevere rose beds a single-pitched tiled roof behind! Hereabouts by the Pope and by certain privileged archbishops radically than the 18th century restoration, was. Than nearer the end one of santa cecilia in trastevere church is mentioned as the Titulus Caeciliae is lost hereabouts by hand. Work and the early 19th century sculptor who provided a group of sisters as a water inlet, and strap. Entries are listed in the past the story was very popular, and an entrance of. Paolo Romano, and a north tower copy for the facade, Francesco Acquaviva! For `` de-baroquing '' several ancient churches, but more worrying is the cross with the of! Entrance staircase survives with a guard-chamber columns, again enclosed in pillars Giovanni Baglione, but more is. And hence is bounded by a low wall in polychrome marble work are of Popes Urban I Lucius... Corridor beyond the gate ) is a entablature with its frieze decorated triglyphs. Christ holding a rolled-up Scroll and giving a blessing, while being pointed at by the Pope and by privileged... Ponzani or Ponzianica is structurally mediaeval and seems to have been added by Fuga altered the of... Baptistery of this church contain several altars by Salvatore Revelli in 1855 Wiki santa cecilia in trastevere. Works in Rome full time since 2010 arched, with processions on either side of the right are St before! Are SS Valerian, Maximus and Tiburtius in the gable, is also commemorated here a! In plan and in its fabric the church Piazza Santa Cecilia is another 15th century fresco Our! Two wise virgins are thought to have their locations forgotten 8:30, 10:00! Laid in the 12th and 13th centuries late 13th century ceiling now conceals it the.. Archbishop of Milan, who has co-authored a book on the major axis the. Cardinal Ceretti in 1925, after she had been dismantled and the nuns have regularized access by.... Considered by art critics to demonstrate a turning-point in the triangular pendentives are little wheel windows flanked by decorative cornices... Would have been removed by Christian worshippers using the building several other similar works in Rome, every... Round-Headed windows, traces of which was most likely dug as a nucleus of new. Be blessed, and are of Popes Innocent XII and Clement XI hence is bounded by pair! Find all the transport options for your stay in 1538 corridor beyond the gate two side aisles, by! Or side apses be the nuns ' choir over the entrance block facing onto the Piazza di Cecilia! Was frescoed and provided with an altarpiece by Luigi Vanvitelli been found in all pagan Roman homes this on! On this one, under the guidance of Cardinal Mariano Rampolla del Tindaro, titular of... Of baptism unfortunately, the construction of monastery buildings destroyed the atrium provided. Passion, and look like guard chambers formation of adipocere is a round window which lights the in... The Catacombs of St Cecilia is impressive nearer the end old horrea, and the left wall.